This article provides a brief overview of the important aspects and an update on the regulatory pathways for approval of biological products in Brazil .
Brazil was in 2010 the first Latin American country in regulating biosimilars . The approval and registration of biological medicines in Brazil are regulated by the National Health Surveillance Agency (Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária, ANVISA) through the Resolution of the Collegiate Board of Directors (RDC) no. 055/2010, which specify the minimum requirements to submit an application for registration of new and follow-on (copies) biological products .
ANVISA uses the terms of: (a) new biological product, for a new biological entity not yet registered; and (b) biological product, referring to the copy or follow-on products containing an active substance already registered .
Biosimilars are those biological products registered through development by comparability, which is the regulatory pathway used by a biological product or medicinal product to obtain registration, in which the comparability exercise in terms of quality, efficacy and safety between the product developed to be comparable and the comparator biological product was used, according to the definition of ANVISA . Biosimilars still nowadays go through a strict examination as well as in countries outside the US and EU.
According to the RDC 055/2010 for establishing the criteria for biosimilar approval in Brazil, there are two regulatory pathways for non-originator biologicals: (1) comparability (biosimilar) – a stepwise approach; and (2) stand-alone (non-biosimilar), however, only the comparability pathway is for the approval of biosimilar product. Table 1 shows the Regulatory pathways for registration of biological products by ANVISA, previously, biological product approved under the comparability is termed as ‘follow-on biologicals’ .
| Table 1: Regulatory pathways for registration of biological products by ANVISA
|| New biological product (originator)
|| Biological product
| Comparability (biosimilar)
|| Stand-alone (non-biosimilar)
| Chemistry, manufacturing and controls data
|| According to standards
| Preclinical studies
|| Can be reduced
| Clinical studies – Phases I and II
|| When needed, no need to be comparative
| Clinical studies – Phase III
|| Comparative, with exceptions (Blood derivatives, vaccines, and oncological drugs)
| Immunogenicity studies
| Comparator product
|| Not Applicable
|| Not specified
| Extrapolation of indications
|| Not applicable
|| Not possible
Updated 18 November 2022.
Source: ANVISA (Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária).
The first biosimilar approved by ANVISA was Celltrion’s Remsima (infliximab) (CT-P13) in April 2015 . To date, 43 biosimilars (from five different classes) on 13 different innovator biologicals have been approved in Brazil by ANVISA.
ANVISA approved its first biosimilar totally manufactured in Brazil in October 2015, Eurofarma’s Fiprima (filgrastim), and its first biosimilar developed, manufactured, and commercialized in Brazil in May 2019, Cristália’s Criscy (somatropin) .
An overview of the reference biological products for the approved biosimilars in Brazil will follow in a next article.
Pharmaceutical manufacturing companies Brazil
Pharmaceutical market of biological and biosimilar medicines in Brazil
Biosimilars approved in Brazil
Brazil approves first monoclonal antibody follow-on biological
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM
The new section of the ‘Latin American Forum’ on GaBI has been launched. The objective of this new section is to provide you with all the latest news and updates on developments of generic and biosimilar medicines in Latin America in Spanish.
View the latest headline article: Hechos clave en la regulación de la aprobación de biosimilares en Brasil
Browse the news in the Latin American Forum!
Register to receive the GaBI Latin American Forum newsletter. Inform colleagues and friends of this new initiative.
Se ha lanzado la nueva sección del ‘Foro Latinoamericano’ sobre GaBI. El objetivo de esta nueva sección es brindarle las últimas noticias y actualizaciones sobre desarrollos de medicamentos genéricos y biosimilares en América Latina en español.
Ver el último artículo de cabecera: Hechos clave en la regulación de la aprobación de biosimilares en Brasil
!Explore las noticias en el Foro Latinoamericano!
Regístrese para recibir el boletín informativo GaBI Foro Latinoamericano. Informe a colegas y amigos sobre esta nueva iniciativa.
1. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Regulatory pathways for approval of biological products in Brazil [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/reports/Regulatory-pathways-for-approval-of-biological-products-in-Brazil
2. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Brazilian market of biosimilars [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/reports/brazilian-market-of-biosimilars
3. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Nomenclature of biologicals and biosimilars in Brazil [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/policies-legislation/nomenclature-of-biologicals-and-biosimilars-in-brazil
4. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Market outlook for biological medicines in Brazil 2016-2025 [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/reports/market-outlook-for-biological-medicines-in-brazil-2016-2025
5. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Follow-on biologicals and extrapolation in Brazil [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/research/Follow-on-biologicals-and-extrapolation-in-Brazil
6. Cestari de Oliveira SH, Castanheira Alegria M, Stephano MA. Brazilian regulation of biosimilar products: what is important to know.BioPharm Int. 2022 Sep;30-7.
Permission granted to reproduce for personal and non-commercial use only. All other reproduction, copy or reprinting of all or part of any ‘Content’ found on this website is strictly prohibited without the prior consent of the publisher. Contact the publisher to obtain permission before redistributing.
Copyright – Unless otherwise stated all contents of this website are © 2022 Pro Pharma Communications International. All Rights Reserved.
Post your comment