In April 2022, Indian drugmaker, Aurobindo Pharma, acquired formulations business Veritaz. In addition, biosimilars specialist, Formycon, signed a partnership deal with ATHOS to merge development activities surrounding two biosimilars.
Veritaz acquired by Aurobindo
The deal in which Aurobindo acquired Veritaz for circa US$22.6 million has taken effect as of April 2022. Aurobindo hopes to use this acquisition to launch into marketing biosimilars and other products in India. The transaction is being made on a debt-free cash-free basis.
In India, Veritaz sells branded generic formulations and other healthcare related products. The company has circa 180 trademarks of which 40 are marketed as anti-infective and pain management medications. It also has a pipeline of products to enter the cardio-diabetic, ortho and gynaecology segments and grossed sales of about US$16.8 million in 2021.
This deal comes after Aurobindo’s recent expansion into the Baltic regions of Europe . It also follows a period of difficulty for the company in the US after the company had to recall some antibiotics and other products  and a warning letter was presented to its facility in Telangana, Hyderabad, India.
Formycon and ATHOS have signed a long-term partnership deal that will see them merge development activities surrounding biosimilars referencing Genentech’s Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Janssen’s Stelara (ustekinumab).
The two biosimilars, FYB201 (ranibizumab) and FYB202 (ustekinumab) are key monoclonal antibody treatments. Ranibizumab inhibits angiogenesis (the formation of new blood vessels) and used to treat ophthalmic conditions, including neovascular (or wet) age-related macular degeneration, macular oedema, and diabetic retinopathy . Ustekinumab interferes with the triggering of the body’s inflammatory response through the suppression of certain cytokines  and is indicated for the treatment of psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease .
The deal will support Formycon’s existing development activities surrounding the two biosimilars and allow them to acquire additional rights to the biosimilars. Specifically, Formycon will have full commercialization, development and approval rights to FYB202, the ustekinumab biosimilar, and a 50% share in FYB201, the ranibizumab biosimilar. FYB201 has been co-developed with Bioeq and has already been submitted for approval in several regions [6, 7].
In addition, Formycon will acquire the operational development unit of Bioeq and the 50% shareholding that ATHOS has in Bioeq, which was created through a joint venture between ATHOS and Polpharma Biologics. Formycon will also have a 75.1% share of Aristo Pharma, a subsidiary of ATHOS.
ATHOS is set to receive approximately €650 million in transaction payments, including funds related new shares in Formycon and an earn-out component that will see ATHOS become Formycon’s largest shareholder, with a stake of almost 27% in the company. The transaction will likely be completed by mid-2022.
Fresh partnerships announced for ranibizumab and trastuzumab biosimilars
Bioeq submits application for ranibizumab biosimilar to FDA
Teva signs deal with Bioeq for ranibizumab biosimilar FYB201
Advances for Formycon and Alteogen’s eye disease biosimilar candidates
Pfizer sues Aurobindo and Dr Reddy’s over Ibrance (palbociclib) generics
Aurobindo and Huons refocus their biologicals/biosimilars portfolios
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM
The new section of the ‘Latin American Forum’ on GaBI has been launched. The objective of this new section is to provide you with all the latest news and updates on developments of generic and biosimilar medicines in Latin America in Spanish.
View this week’s headline article: Nomenclatura de biológicos y biosimilares en Chile
Browse the news in the Latin American Forum!
Register to receive the GaBI Latin American Forum newsletter. Inform colleagues and friends of this new initiative.
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM
Se ha lanzado la nueva sección del ‘Foro Latinoamericano’ sobre GaBI. El objetivo de esta nueva sección es brindarle las últimas noticias y actualizaciones sobre desarrollos de medicamentos genéricos y biosimilares en América Latina en español.
Vea el artículo principal de esta semana: Nomenclatura de biológicos y biosimilares en Chile
!Explore las noticias en el Foro Latinoamericano!
Regístrese para recibir el boletín informativo GaBI Foro Latinoamericano. Informe a colegas y amigos sobre esta nueva iniciativa.
1. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Orion CuraTeQ and Theramax-Enzene Biosciences partnerships [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/pharma-news/orion-curateq-and-theramax-enzene-biosciences-partnerships
2. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Carcinogen contamination halts distribution of generic Zantac [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/generics/general/Carcinogen-contamination-halts-distribution-of-generic-Zantac
3. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Biosimilars of ranibizumab [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/general/Biosimilars-of-ranibizumab
4. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Clinical trials begin for ustekinumab biosimilars [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/research/clinical-trials-begin-for-ustekinumab-biosimilars
5. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Biosimilars of ustekinumab [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/general/biosimilars-of-ustekinumab
6. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Bioeq submits application for ranibizumab biosimilar to FDA [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/news/bioeq-submits-application-for-ranibizumab-biosimilar-to-fda
7. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Formycon/Bioeq submit European marketing authorization for ranibizumab biosimilar [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2022 Apr 22]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/news/formycon-bioeq-submit-european-marketing-authorization-for-ranibizumab-biosimilar
Permission granted to reproduce for personal and non-commercial use only. All other reproduction, copy or reprinting of all or part of any ‘Content’ found on this website is strictly prohibited without the prior consent of the publisher. Contact the publisher to obtain permission before redistributing.
Copyright – Unless otherwise stated all contents of this website are © 2022 Pro Pharma Communications International. All Rights Reserved.