Coherus BioSciences has announced that it will launch Yusimry, its adalimumab biosimilar, at the lowest price announced to date in the US.
The product, that references AbbVie’s Humira, is set to launch in July 2023. Humira is currently priced at US$6,922 per carton of two autoinjectors, the Yusimry price will represent about an 85% discount from the originator, with a price of US$995 per carton (2 x 40 mg/0.8 mL autoinjectors).
Yusimry was approved in the US in 2021 . It is an adalimumab biosimilar, a monoclonal antibody and is a tumour necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitor used to treat a range of inflammatory conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. The originator, Humira first launched in 2003 and has since evolved in many ways including new concentrations, citrate-free versions, latex-free delivery devices, and smaller needle gauges [2, 3].
Yusimry has a state-of-the-art autoinjector presentation and includes Coherus’ proprietary non-stinging, citrate-free formulation and a 29-gauge needle.
In addition to Coherus’s low price announcement, Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) SmithRx announcedthat it would offer Yusimry for less than 90% of the list price of Humira beginning 1 July 2023. The PBM also partners with the Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company (Cost Plus Drugs) together with Coherus, which will allow Yusimry to be sold US$569.27 (plus dispensing and shipping fees) and it will be included in the Team Cuban Card prescription benefit programme through participating pharmacies.
This news comes following various moves by reference product Humira’s manufacturer AbbVie, to block the launch of Coherus’s low-cost alternative product [4, 5]. The first adalimumab biosimilar to finally hit the US market was Amgen’s Amjevita on 31 January 2023. Humira is among the top-selling drugs of all time, with 2022 net revenues in the US of $18 billion, it is hoped that the launch of these biosimilars will improve affordability and access to this medicinal product.
Biosimilars launched in the US at a significant discount
AbbVie makes more deals delaying adalimumab biosimilars in the US
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM
The new section of the ‘Latin American Forum’ on GaBI has been launched. The objective of this new section is to provide you with all the latest news and updates on developments of generic and biosimilar medicines in Latin America in Spanish.
View the latest headline article: AMLAC: agencia reguladora de medicamentos de América Latina y el Caribe establecida
Browse the news in the Latin American Forum!
Register to receive the GaBI Latin American Forum newsletter. Inform colleagues and friends of this new initiative.
Se ha lanzado la nueva sección del ‘Foro Latinoamericano’ sobre GaBI. El objetivo de esta nueva sección es brindarle las últimas noticias y actualizaciones sobre desarrollos de medicamentos genéricos y biosimilares en América Latina en español.
Ver el último artículo de cabecera: AMLAC: agencia reguladora de medicamentos de América Latina y el Caribe establecida
!Explore las noticias en el Foro Latinoamericano!
Regístrese para recibir el boletín informativo GaBI Foro Latinoamericano. Informe a colegas y amigos sobre esta nueva iniciativa.
1. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. FDA approves adalimumab and insulin glargine biosimilars Yusimry and Rezvoglar [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2023 Jul 28]. Available from:
2. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Biosimilars of adalimumab [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2023 Jul 28]. Available from:
3. Gabbi Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Humira (adalimumab) biosimilars pipeline [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2023 Jul 28]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/reports/humira-adalimumab-biosimilars-pipeline
4. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Coherus retracts Abbvie restraining order in Humira biosimilar dispute [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2023 Jul 28]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/biosimilars/general/coherus-retracts-abbvie-restraining-order-in-humira-biosimilar-dispute
5. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. AbbVie and Coherus sign licensing deal for Humira biosimilar [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2023 Jul 28]. Available from:
Permission granted to reproduce for personal and non-commercial use only. All other reproduction, copy or reprinting of all or part of any ‘Content’ found on this website is strictly prohibited without the prior consent of the publisher. Contact the publisher to obtain permission before redistributing.
Copyright – Unless otherwise stated all contents of this website are © 2023 Pro Pharma Communications International. All Rights Reserved.