Authors from Law360 have examined biosimilar approvals by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 (BPCI Act) and ensuing patent litigation actions. They also discuss why the lack of new approvals and litigation in 2020 does not suggest reduced interest in biosimilars but signals a new wave of biosimilars on the horizon .
In the US, the BPCI Act was signed into law on 23 March 2010, giving FDA the authority to approve biosimilars. FDA then issued guidelines for biosimilar applications in February 2012 in the form of three draft guidance documents  and has since issued many other guidance documents relevant for biosimilars .
FDA approved its first biosimilar Zarxio (filgrastim-sndz) in 2015  and has progressively approved more biosimilars each year. To date (January 2021), FDA has approved 29 biosimilars [plus four follow-on biologicals: . Of these 29 biosimilars, only an estimated 18 have entered the US market, according to authors Whitehill and Deshmukh.
According to a 2020 IQVIA report, biosimilars could save the US healthcare system US$100 billion over the next five years . However, despite this fact, the number of biosimilar approvals fell in 2020 to just three compared to 2019 when there were a record 10 approvals . Although, on the bright side only five BPCI Act litigation cases remained pending as of 31 December 2020.
The following series of articles discusses in more detail biosimilar approvals and launches in the US and biosimilar patent litigation in the country.
Readers interested to learn more about biosimilar patent litigation in the US and Europe are invited to visit www.gabi-journal.net to view the following manuscript published in GaBI Journal:
Biosimilars patent litigation in the EU and the US: a comparative strategic overview
GaBI Journal is indexed in Embase, Scopus, Emerging Sources Citation Index and more.
Readers interested in contributing a research or perspective paper to GaBI Journal – an independent, peer reviewed academic journal – please send us your submission here.
Biosimilar patent litigation trends in the US
Biosimilar approvals and launches in the US
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM – Coming soon!
To further enhance the objectives of GaBI in sharing information and knowledge that ensure policies supportive of safe biosimilars use, we are pleased to announce that we will be launching a new section on GaBI Online and GaBI Journal, the ‘Latin American Forum’ (in Spanish) featuring the latest news and updates on research and developments in generic and biosimilar medicines in Latin America.
Register to receive the GaBI Latin American Forum newsletter. Inform colleagues and friends of this new initiative.
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM – Próximamente!
Para fomentar los objetivos de GaBI sobre la difusión de información y conocimiento sobre las políticas de apoyo que garantizan el uso seguro de medicamentos biosimilares, nos complace anunciar el lanzamiento de una nueva sección en GaBI Online y GaBI Journal, el ‘Latin American Forum’ (en español), que presentará las últimas noticias y actualizaciones en investigación y desarrollo sobre medicamentos genéricos y biosimilares en Latinoamérica.
Regístrese para recibir el boletín informativo GaBI Latin American Forum. Informe a colegas y amigos sobre esta nueva iniciativa.
1. Whitehill J, Deshmukh J. After lull in biosimilar IP litigation, 2021 could bring influx. Law360. 2021 Jan 7.
2. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. FDA finally issues draft biosimilar guidance [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2021 Feb 19]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/Guidelines/FDA-finally-issues-draft-biosimilar-guidance
3. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. US guidelines for biosimilars [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2021 Feb 19]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/Guidelines/US-guidelines-for-biosimilars
4. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. FDA approves its first biosimilar [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2021 Feb 19]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/Biosimilars/News/FDA-approves-its-first-biosimilar
5. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. Biosimilars approved in the US [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2021 Feb 19]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/Biosimilars/General/Biosimilars-approved-in-the-US
6. IQVIA. Biosimilars in the United States 2020–2024 competition, savings, and sustainability [homepage on the Internet]. [cited 2021 Feb 19]. Available from: www.iqvia.com/insights/the-iqvia-institute/reports/biosimilars-in-the-united-states-2020-2024
Permission granted to reproduce for personal and non-commercial use only. All other reproduction, copy or reprinting of all or part of any ‘Content’ found on this website is strictly prohibited without the prior consent of the publisher. Contact the publisher to obtain permission before redistributing.
Copyright – Unless otherwise stated all contents of this website are © 2021 Pro Pharma Communications International. All Rights Reserved.